Friday, November 4, 2016
The Chocolate Church, Bath, Maine
I’d been meaning to see Joan Osborne live for over twenty years. Her 1995 release, Relish, played on repeat when I was in high school. You probably know her most famous song “One of Us,” which I also love, but “St. Teresa” was my jam. Joan is currently touring as an acoustic duo with multi instrumentalist Keith Cotton. No opening act and close to home? You bet I made my way to Chocolate Church Arts Center in Bath to see her live, and I’m glad I got to hear both of those songs in person, but otherwise, I thought the show was dull. I was also just about the only person who seemed to think so. I ran into a handful of people I know during intermission and after the show who were wide eyed and smiling and all asked “can you believe how amazing she is?” I nodded politely. The couple sitting next to me didn’t come back after intermission, which I also sincerely contemplated, but she hadn’t played “One of Us” yet, and I knew she would.
Joan’s voice was incredibly vanilla in person. She sang a song she wrote for the stirring Sharon Jones (who has recently passed) and it was very kind and also dull. Joan sang a few Bob Dylan covers (she’d played a two-week stint covering Dylan songs at Café Carlyle in New York City before he was honored with a Nobel Prize), and I was glad I could understand the words (for a change), but the songs fell flat for me. I am glad I went, as my take is clearly in the minority (maybe it was an age-related thing? I was pretty young compared to the rest of the capacity crowd), but I’m all set with Joan shows forever. Still, you should always go see the people who have made the music that has made you when you are still able. I would have been disappointed if I hadn’t gone and checked it out for myself.
I am often in need of a concert buddy. Let me know if you’re interested in joining me at any of the following, or at least check out some of these great artists I’m excited to see soon!
- Chamberlin at Empire Dine and Dance in Portland on Thursday, February 16, 2012 (http://holdmyticket.com/event/36309)
- Dirigo with Comanchero at The Big Easy in Portland on Friday, February 17, 2012 (https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/237236933023528/)
- There Is No Sin at One Longfellow Square in Portland on Thursday, February 23, 2012 (http://www.onelongfellowsquare.com/Details.asp?ProdID=1376)
- Joan Osborne at One Longfellow Square in Portland on Friday, February 24, 2012 (http://www.onelongfellowsquare.com/Details.asp?ProdID=1351&category=2)
- The Toughcats, The Milkman’s Union, and Nat Baldwin at SPACE in Portland on Friday, February 24, 2012 (http://www.space538.org/event_details.php?id=1039)
- This Way, Kingsley Flood, and Tricky Britches at Empire Dine and Dance in Portland on Saturday, February 25, 2012 (http://holdmyticket.com/event/36190)
- The Black Keys with The Arctic Monkeys at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 (http://www.statetheatreportland.com/event/80875/)
- I would love to have a buddy to see Young the Giant and Grouplove with me at the House of Blues in Boston on Thursday, March 8, 2012 (http://www.houseofblues.com/tickets/eventdetail.php?eventid=72048)
- I am BEYOND EXCITED for The Head and the Heart at The State Theatre in Portland on Friday, March 16, 2012 (http://www.statetheatreportland.com/event/82559/)
- Katie Herzig at Empire Dine and Dance in Portland on Friday, March 16, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI2k7R65EZY) I can’t be there, so if you go, please tell me about it. I am SO SAD to miss Katie–she is amazing!
- I have an extra ticket and would LOVE to have a buddy to see Sarah Jarosz with me at Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, NH on Monday, March 19, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKBN5ewEXdc)
- Shelby Lynne at One Longfellow Square in Portland on Thursday, March 22, 2012 (http://www.onelongfellowsquare.com/Details.asp?ProdID=1352)
- Jenny Owen Youngs with Aunt Martha at Empire Dine and Dance in Portland on Friday, March 23, 2012 (http://holdmyticket.com/event/35920)
- Gotye and Kimbra at House of Blues in Boston on Thursday, March 29, 2012 (http://www.houseofblues.com/tickets/eventdetail.php?eventid=72958)
- I cannot believe this is happening for $8. Oh my. Johnny Corndawg, Shovels and Rope, and Robert Ellis at Empire Dine and Dance in Portland on Saturday, March 31, 2012 (http://holdmyticket.com/event/36346)
- Pete Kilpatrick Band at Frontier in Brunswick on Saturday, April 7, 2012 (http://www.petekilpatrickband.com/tour)
- Dinosaur Feathers at Empire Dine and Dance in Portland on Thursday, April 12, 2012 (http://holdmyticket.com/event/36920)
- Greg Brown at One Longfellow Square in Portland on Thursday, April 26, 2012 (http://www.onelongfellowsquare.com/Details.asp?ProdID=1253&category=2)
- Belfast Free Range Music Festival in Belfast, Maine on Saturday, April 28, 2012 (http://freerangemusicfestival.com/)
- All (?) I want for my birthday is a two day pass to the NEWPORT FOLK FESTIVAL in Newport, RI, Saturday and Sunday, July 28 and 29, 2012 (http://www.newportfolkfest.net/)